Wednesday, September 19, 2007

next-to-last market day

The farmers' market within reasonable walking distance is ending next week. It is small, and probably if you went out to "the country" and picked your own produce, you'd pay less per pound for freshly shelled black beans and such, but you'd have spent almost two hours driving to and fro, and used some of your billable hours in hard labor. I'd rather walk. For the rest of the fall season we'll have to do some urban hiking over to the Ballard market on Sundays, which is a crazy scene of strollers, dogs and often pushy people. Or down to the U District, which seems to sell out of stuff owing to people who get up at ungodly hours on Saturday morning to rush over there and buy up everything. Those of us inclined to relaxed late morning activities get shut out. Yeah, yeah, the race goes to the swift and all that rot; some of us are swift and not so competitive.
Another session of climbing, with a different friend. Interesting how many approaches there are to the same basic activity. I don't compete with my friends, but some of them are quite intent on some kind of contest, with themselves or others, hard to tell. Once in a while they kind of rope me into the game, but I'd prefer to just go until I drop. It's a great form of therapy.

3 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

I envy you the neighborhood farmers' markets. There are a few growing up around us...I expect they will be going concerns in five years. Curious: how did you get into climbing? It seems such a strenuous, demanding sport...and I don't see the relaxation that you imply it supplies.

6:42 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

mfm, our son introduced me to climbing. I guess I've always been inclined to strenuous activity, such as hiking, bike touring and racing, some kind of intense energey output; climbing is similar. The more you exert yourself, the calmer you feel. Seems paradoxical, or perverse, but it's the way I'm wired. Climbing requires mental focus, and the rewards at the end of a hard day are wonderful. I know, it sounds kind of hokey, but physical activity can make you feel so - cleaned out. It's relative, a good walk will do the same thing. Five blocks for my elderly mother makes a world of difference in her attitude.
So - the relaxation comes after the exertion...

10:48 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I wrote a comment here and blogger ate it. I wish I could remember what it said. I'm sure it was brilliant! LOL.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home