Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where are my scythers?

When I re-read Anna Karenina a little while ago, I came to it older and with a very different perspective than I had the first time through. I wasn't so focused on her tragic love affair, was more appreciative of the rich background and contextual details. For instance, those Russian landowners and their crews of people who cut the hay and grain with scythes; the descriptions of those scenes were wonderful. A group of those strong hearty fellows would get our side yard done in the blink of an eye, in the downing of a shot of vodka.
It's like early summer here, and we don't want to be scything, we want to be walking and drinking it in. We shall not see the likes of this for months.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, now. The nanny state will not permit the mixing of scythes and shots of vodka. Tsk.

2:59 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ha! How do you think those guys washed down their black bread and hard cheese come lunch time? I shall repeat an "in" to clarify that I meant it to signify a short span of time.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home