Friday, May 30, 2008

Weirdness at noon

It's been too dry for the local snail smashing guy to get any satisfaction, but our nearby shopping district seems to be acquiring more and more unusual individuals. One very large and stout fellow hailed me like a long-lost sister as I took my mother to her hair appointment. His female companion followed, using a walker, muttering,"Don't lose him, don't lose him!" as she lurched along. There are men with signs declaring them homeless vets, panhandling persistently, and a few slumped on benches staring at the pavement. There will be more, as time goes by; this is surely a result of the unraveling social system. This is a clear marker to me of the difference between the Shrub-type people and me: I think it's important to provide beds for homeless people, while the Shrub-like people ignore them, pocketing the funds which would have served. Beds, and work. It was accomplished during the Depression of the 1930's, it can be done again.
And I want to see Bush and Cheney cleaning up litter in parks, as dues for their crimes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

As long as Cheney doesn't get that stabby thing for picking up the trash.

1:45 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ha! Naw, he should have to pick it up with his teeth...and all the animal droppings, too.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home