Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moving along

Brief respite from the deluges, which are due to resume tonight. Hairdoing perks up the nonegenarian, as does a scenic drive. And truffle therapy. Reading a short story collection by Rikki Ducornet, I came upon a wonderful use of the word truffle. The narrator is a small black dog belonging to a woman named Josephine, who is in the process of seducing a man identified as "Boney":
"So Egypt became something of an obsession with me and caused me to fantasize during those lost hours in the morning when my mistress prepared herself for the day, trying on her 'creoleries' for best effect and posing lasciviously before her mirror - for at this time she was seducing Boney, who, from what I gathered, was truffling after wealth, good connections, exoticism, and glory, too." Can't you imagine what the creoleries looked like?

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

I've never seen the word "creoleries" before. Now I'm going to have to google it.

7:43 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

With this writer, it could be something she made up; or it could be French. The story this was from, "Fortune" (accent on the "e"), is quite wonderful.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home