Monday, February 23, 2009

Into a week

Running around town, fortunately in the car, for the distances I had to cover; it darkened and started pouring, and all I had were sunglasses. I felt as if I were driving in perpetual night. No umbrella, either, for the walking I had to do; none of my few essentials about me. Lack of sleep will unwind the best of preparations.
Wilde would have adored watching the Oscars, if anything is to be deduced from his lecture titled "The American Invasion", all about the endless charms of young American women taking London by storm back in the late 1800's, and their male counterparts' thorough dullness. Of course, all his words may be utterly drenched in irony and outright sarcasm...
"...and unlike the men, they never bore us with Bunker's [sic] Hill. They take their dresses from Paris, and their manners from Piccadilly, and wear both charmingly. They have a quaint pertness, a delightful conceit, a naive self-assertion." ...and..."There is something fascinating in their funny, exaggerated gestures, and their petulant way of tossing the head. Their eyes have no magic nor mystery in them, but they challenge us for combat; and when we engage, we are always worsted." Etc. Faint praise...