Sunday, June 07, 2009

Garden surprises

One of the kids' tomato plants has produce the first baby fruit of all the ones we have in. Two of the Guatemalan purple fava beans have sprouted - not sure what happened to the other two - and the spinach is a -poppin'. I'm curious about the biggest potato plant, wondering it it's got some little new ones buried under it.
We get family guests later in the evening, somewhat at short notice but still welcome; they are staying in the guest wing, in a tent in the side yard. Although they hail from a very small place in Idaho, they said our neighborhood is quieter at night than theirs, for various reasons.
We quietly marked our thirty-fifth wedding anniversary; he's my best friend ever. In Leon Russell's words,"I love your for my life, you are a friend of mine..."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Phil said...

Lucky guy! ;-)

11:42 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You two are such romantics, and after all these years. Two things that money can't buy: True love and homegrown tomatoes. (From a song by Guy Clark.)

You asked about the species of whale breaching in Monterey Bay the other day. I'm pretty sure it must have been a Humpback. What a sight.

9:26 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Here's the song:
Homegrown Tomatoes

9:40 AM  
Blogger FriĆ°vin said...

I had homegrown cherry tomatoes with my lunch today. Sadly, that's about all I'll probably get. It's just too hard to grow decent tomatoes around Austin. Usually it just gets too hot too early and lack of rain certainly doesn't help.

11:43 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Funny, Robin A.! My mother and I heard that song once driving somewhere, on a local public radio station, KBCS, which has all kinds of great music.

Kona, can't you just water the tomatoes? They love hot days and especially hot nights.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home