Friday, December 23, 2005

Daily doggy dalliance

It's that witching hour again, time to go up to walk the dogs. As the weather was finer than it's been for some days, I walked up to their place rather than drive. On the way, I saw a very old man dragging his little wheeled grocery cart up a long flight of steps to his house; I watched for a bit, and when he began teetering on the least move, I ran across the street and asked him if he wanted a hand. He turned a surprised, little gray prune of a face to me and declined, but smiled and thanked me. We have had enough near disasters on our front steps with my mother that I couldn't bear to see one unfold. It's undoubtedly good exercise for the guy to do this, as long as he makes it to the top.
Oh, the dogs were ecstatic to see me today; must have been the warmer weather and lack of rain, but they both charged outside and off around the block. If I'd had a dozen more of them, I could have run the Iditarod. Well, more like an ersatz one in Jamaica, since these little dogs don't like the cold.
Got in a run and workout around 3:30; happened by an elementary school where we have bought trees in the past to benefit its PTA. After school's out for the holiday, they always put the leftover trees out front. I found a lovely little tree, and dragged it home for 13 blocks; I'm wondering what my arms, shoulders and back will feel like tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Geez, not you got me worried about the animals on noah's ark. Gosh! Happy Holidays and best to you and yours, I. Been nice gettin' to know you a bit.

4:53 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

And a swell holiday weekend to you all too, Neil! Really appreciate your artwork and commentary. I look forward to visiting with you guys in the future.
Cheers!

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home