Saturday, May 13, 2006

Sunny Saturday

So the sun is out; it's a bit breezy for my elderly mother so we keep on the leeward side of the street. We made two chicken coop visitations today - their mistress is away for the weekend, so they're -cooped up! - and getting increasingly whingy about it. Not just whiny, there's a desperate edge to their vocalizations.
My run to the weight gym was pleasant. As I was finishing my workout, the guy who manages the place, always jolly and full of bonhomie, was trading marathon stories with one of the members. He said during one of the Seattle Marathons, which are held in late November near Thanksgiving, not usually a pleasant time of year, he and another fellow who used to work there, a really big guy, were slogging along in particularly rainy and chilly weather. At Mile 18, two guys had set up a little Weber grill on a picnic table in a streetside park, and were grilling bacon. They had put out a big sign that read,"Free Bacon!" The gym manager said his companion, a fellow afficionado of fat and grease, nearly lost it on the spot, smelling the wafting odor of cooking bacon. The two sadistic bacon purveyors were evidently having a wonderful time tweaking passing marathoners with this gambit. I told the manager he should put together a collection of his sports and fitness related tales. He always has some jolly tidbit to share, and I bet he could sell it. He's really a great guy, has his heart and political affiliations in the right place, and people would get quite a bit of enjoyment out of his stories, I'm sure.
Late-breaking walk with the beloved spouse, who just got back from a business trip down South.
The Seattle skyline was lovely at the far edge of Lake Union, just as the sun went down.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely day, Isa. Happy Mom's day BTW. I am sure your son and spouse are up to some surprises to help celebrate.

2:36 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, 'spike! Not sure what the beloved son will come up with. Beloved spouse and I just took a nice long walk, down to the northeast shore of Lake Washington - nice steady 15-20 knot wind, by the way, probably better suited to sailing than windsurfing, I guess - and visited a kakay supplier to check out dry suits. I spotted a swell lightweight paddle, small diameter bent shaft, which I think I want to get. Maybe it will help me overcome my inner fear of being out of control in deep cold water.

6:31 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks kathyr! Hope yours was enjoyable, too.
Bacon....well, there's always fake bacon. Hilarious that even vegans have a form of it!

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home