Friday, May 12, 2006

Whither human nature

In the wee hours of this morning, after I woke up in a sweat out of a nightmare, I had a distinct memory of hearing my dad saying,"Nothing in the world is going to change unless human nature changes." He actuallyused to say that. Sort of a simple wisdom, but basically it's valid. Human nature keeps showing signs of changing, oh, you know, like people sharing food - major forward progress for us! - but any forward progress is soon eradicated by the likes of the people in power now, and pretty much all over the world. And those pitiful little areas where we cling together and try to break out of the eternal mode of greed, selfishness and dishonesty seem constantly to get overtaken by the bad behaving ones. It's as close as one's own neighborhood. If we can't keep it from rearing its vile head on that small of a scale, how to thwart it on a global one?
Slow pleasant day, enjoyable evening. My dear friend who can make vegan food delectable had me over for dinner. I watched her put together a wonderful pizza and a spaghetti squash saute, as well as baked apples with chunks of ginger cookies, caramel swirl tofu ice cream and multi spice brown sugar and substitute butter sauce. I brought a bottle of Sicilian white wine, and we had a great repast, even with fending off the pizza-crazed chihuahuas. Sharing food good.
Her partner, my son and a good friend of theirs appeared a bit later to polish off the rest of the dinner.
To bed again with Vollmann's Europe Central. One of the things about it that gives me the horrors is the parallels it shows between the WWII years in Germany and the Soviet Union and today. Vollmann calls Hitler "the sleepwalker," a moniker I'm trying to decipher. The quality of the writing is very good, so I will continue to hew away at its 780+ pages.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is the sound of my mouth watering: "pizza and a spaghetti squash saute, as well as baked apples with chunks of ginger cookies, caramel swirl tofu ice cream and multi spice brown sugar and substitute butter sauce. I brought a bottle of Sicilian white wine." If there were any scraps left by your son and pals, toss them over this way....

Lovely day over here. Hope to get out on the water. Have a wonderful day Isa. Blog on sister, blog on.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Michael Bains said...

Sharing food good.

Oh, so true.

11:38 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, one could have heard the hoovering of food by the three young guys who arrived late for diner, out in the front yard. Gone, gone with amazing speed! Poor dogs never even got a crumb of the pizza crust.
Thanks, it's swell here, too, plenty breezy. I got an invitation to go climbing at Smith Rock in central Oregon for the weekend, but it didn't work out. It's on the eastern side of Mt. Hood, an area with which you are familiar, I am sure, owing to windsurfing not so far away.

michael, I'm not even a vegetarian, but anything my vegan friend cooks is drool-worthy, and she always shares it.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, yes, mt. hood - hood river all the very definition of Nirvana for me. I have many a great camping, hiking, biking, running, climbing, windsurfing ventures to relive in that location...I love that part of the country.

Wind is building, could be epic in the usual locations - sunny too boot!

Blog on sister.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Hilter as 'the sleepwalker'? I'm not sure I get that either. I thought he was all hopped up on speed and couldn't sleep. Would that make George 'the sleepdecider' then? Hmmm. That's pretty stupid too. I dearly wish he would decide to go sleep, though. A nice long...oh, dirtnap, say.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Darius said...

In a similar vein, my dad used to say, "People are stupid." The older I get the wiser his words appear to me.

Of course I except myself...

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home