Monday, April 24, 2006

Family reunion

It's imminent. We leave tomorrow night on a red eye, eventually to make our way to Myrtle Beach, SC. One of them thar Red States. One that's working on passing a law banning sex toys, and if'n any prevert's caught sellin' 'em, why, they'll git lynched! When I impulsively dropped by the Lucky 13 Barber this afternoon on my way to the likker store, I discussed getting my head shaved and acquiring a satanically-themed tattoo to enter SC, but the woman who pruned my hair informed me I might actually be welcomed by certain parties down there in such a state. She seemed to have some knowledge of alternative lifestyles down south. About as soon as I'd set myself down in a chair, the women in the shop put on an old Elvis album. Wondering if I had inspired this at first, I soon heard that these youngsters were afficionados of the Pelvis, which I am not.
At the likker store, I gathered up a few bottles to replenish our house stocks. A young, kind of freaky yet fresh-looking woman observed me narrowly, and when I chose a bottle of Crater Lake vodka and one of Crater Lake gin, she went over and took down one of the vodka. She then sidled over to me and smiled shyly. I wasn't sure of what was going on, so I smiled and told her we enjoyed that particular brand. "Well, " she said, "I'm a naturopath, and I'm making medicine from it, so I want to get the most organic kind." This was a surprise, and I told her we didn't make medicine out of it at our house. "Oh, you don't?" she asked. Then she sort of drifted back to the shelves to look some more.
Organic booze. People, are we missing a marketing oportunity here?! It just occurred to me that what she really needed was pure grain alcohol, the kind we used to procure in college from friends in the chemistry department who had access to the chemistry department stores. A deadly substance, one we'd put in the innocent-looking fruit punch concoctions we served at our art department student art show openings. Colorless, tasteless, fire-in-the-throat and death to the white eyes. More powerful than Everclear. That's what the young woman needed for her naturopathic admixtures...

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Shaved heads...hum. I just got a set of hair trimmers so that we don't have to go to the shop and drop a fortune on haircuts ever month. It's already paid for itself. Next may be shaved heads to negate the need for cuts every month.

Does your trek mean that you will be vacationing from blogging? If so, have a great break. I do find that I miss the writing if I'm out, but if venturing to places that are fun, am distracted enough to not care.

Oh, everclear punch - carried a big fist at my college. And, I don't care to go back to that at all.

10:24 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yeah, kathyr, Everclear was pizen.
and I frequently wished I were in Cali instead of Pittsburgh, especially in the winter.

'spike, we'll have a laptop and dial up, so I'll put up an impression or two from the bowels...er...heart of the southlands. There isn't as much to do there as in J-Tree, that's certain. There is a nice long beach for running and walking.

10:58 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

We, at the Pop home, refer to likker as cocktail sauce. Sounds like you're in for a rollicking good time. Are you taking the likker with you? Probably should, you might need it.

Have fun and stay safe :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, pissed off P! We'll probably stop at some little likker store down to Myrtle Beach, and get a bit of something. It's cheaper down there, even if they don't have our favorite, Crater Lake.
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to spot any of them preverted sextoy purveyors...

5:37 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

LOL! Naturopathic Drunks, huh? Do they have Naturopathic Alcoholics Anonymous, do you suppose?

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home