Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heat of the day

Not such a great start, my mother was really laboring today on a truncated version of her beloved walk. I think it would be wise to declare this a rest day. Even that guy who won the Tour de France needs a rest day now and then, I told her.
Went for a run and workout. Down by Evans Pool on the northeast shore of Green Lake, the Seattle Super Sonics basketball team and Starbucks, whose owner owns the Sonics - er, used to own them - were having some kind of big hoop-de-doo with all ages of shooters. I'm always astounded to see professional athletes up close. One year, long ago in the '70's, we were walking through the Seattle Center near the venue they used back then and saw a bunch of L.A. Lakers leaving a practice; truly unearthly proportions on those guys. I suppose Starbucks and the Sonics were hoping to spread some little bit of good will, or maybe they were just locked into this event. There was quite an array of hopefuls, wanna-bes and has-beens, all competing for attention and prizes.
Everything was fine until I had to get back up the hill to home. Walking briskly was as much as I could manage.
Late-breaking delicious cool breeze. Warm-down stroll for my mom.
Off to catch the sunset.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I was at a wedding in Mpls two years ago and the reception was at the Radisson downtown. A few of us were out for air after dinner and it seemed like all the streetwalkers in Minneapolis were hanging out in the street outside the lobby. A very colorful group. Turned out the Yankees were staying at the hotel and the, um..."fans"...were waiting for the Yankees to come back from a playoff game with the Twins at the Metrodome.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home