Monday, September 25, 2006

Anniversary?

Over the past three or four days, something has been jogging my mother's glitchy memory. She's wondered aloud, several times, if we were getting close to the date back in 1948 when she and Dad were married. Now, I couldn't remember the date for sure; it was always a private celebration to them, and they never demanded or really wanted anyone to fete them. I did send her flowers a couple of times, which she did like, but they truly didn't expect the big family hoo has. Miraculously, yesterday she came to the firm conclusion that it was on September 25, 1948, back in Toledo, Ohio, she and my father were hitched. This would have been their 58th, were he alive. We shall see what surfaces today as we take our walks.
Euphoric climbing workout with friends. Basket of button mums for my mom. Balmy night.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

My dad died in 1992, when my parents had been married 45 years. On the 50th anniversary in 1997, the four kids sent my mom a bouquet of flowers and told her that her we remembered and were grateful the import of that day. My dad was a total sentimentalist, he would have loved the gesture. Thanks for the memory.

11:19 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

We had a nice family dinner, and talked about where Dad used to take her out to celebrate. He was always shocked by the menu prices!
She chuckled over that. They hardly ever went out, and she enjoyed it when they did, even to the local Mexican restaurant for a burrito and a margarita.
You're welcome, robin. Funny how they pop up, these memories.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home