Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wintery warning shot, maggots and methheads

Walking to an appointment this afternoon, I found I was...cold. And wet. Rain blowing sideways. Great day for a haircut. Usually I just kind of tolerate the noisy salon, but today it seemed cozy and quiet. The young woman who has pruned my hair for the past several years is 6+ months pregnant with her first son, and was cheerful and mellow. She related a ghastly tale of raw chicken used for bait on a fishing trip that somehow got left in a cooler by her husband, who eventually found it and put it in the garbage container outside; by that time, forces were in motion beyond her wildest nightmares. A neighbor guy came to her door and told her he had noticed that the garbage can was "moving." She went out to check, and found the can entirely covered, inside and out, with maggots. She started spraying it with bleach solution, and another fellow neighbor appeared, loudly telling her that he'd caught some "methheads" stealing something from his yard in the middle of the night, and was doing his citizen's duty to inform everyone in the area. At that point, being more than six months pregnant, in her slippers and comfortable lounging clothes, she declared she had had enough. Her partner got maggot duty when he got home that evening. We had to laugh at the horror.
The showers had eased by the time I got home, so my mother was able to get out for a walk. The farmers' market had its next-to-last session, and fewer vendors were present, but plenty of Wallingfordians were picking up corn, apples, and the rest of the cornecopia.

2 Comments:

Blogger isabelita said...

Well, kathyr, I'd rather talk to this woman than to some of the others, who seem to be mainlining People Magazine. Do you find that airheadedness down there?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Tom Hilton said...

I think I'm going to skip lunch...

This reminds me of when I was staying at someone's house in Guanajuato, Mexico, and found a maggoty pork chop in the fridge...I'm surprised I don't still have nightmares about that.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home