Sunday, October 15, 2006

'Shroom weather

The Puget Sound Mycological Society had its fair this weekend, and the season is nigh. Years ago I went to see one of these events, and was amazed by the variety of fungi set out for display, like a school science fair of yore. Still have my mushroom identification guide, and still get a touch of fear when I look through it, since there are so many ways to go wrong with these curious growths. A friend told me she'd been to this year's fair, had joined the PSMS, and was taking a field trip soon to start learning how to ID edible mushrooms. My dad used to like to pick field mushrooms, also called "pink bottoms", which are the wild cousin to the ones we buy at the supermarket. Someone saw my mother and him gathering them on a deserted baseball field, and warned him he could be poisoned if he picked the wrong ones. My dad just chuckled and told the guy he thought that would be an interesting way to go.
We're getting a taste of the rain needed to set off the fungi explosion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing like fresh shrooms that you picked sauted in garlic and butter...or a little olive oil for those with cholesterol concerns...

How many pigs were out on the hunt for the truffles?

Hunt away.

6:51 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm back, reading your comments and appreciating that there's someone else 'out there' who promotes reason and rationalism. I found your comment "Religion is a disease sometimes, when it's used as a bludgeon" is in perfect parallel to my views on religion. Let them have it, but let them not use it as a weapon.

7:48 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

We've been finding mushrooms around on our walks lately. Nice boletes and puffballs. When we first moved here Roger harvested the shaggy manes that grow all around our property. He ate them quite often. One day, he picked them early and let them sit on the counter for most of the day before he cooked them. Not such a good thing, we learned, because he was pretty sick for the night, after he made a side dish of them. I never eat wild mushrooms. I think it's because I don't want to risk the adverse side effects.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home