Wednesday, May 09, 2007

En-ger-nee!

Excellent day - swell climbing, good company, and delicious food; a batch of bread came out nicely, and a butternut squash lasagna was beautiful. It was vegetarian, and enjoyed by all, even the one among us who is not so fond of squash. The sweet Vedalia onion sauted with the squash before layering, along with some zucchini for color and our own dried herbs must have done the job. A nice organic chunky tomato sauce with garlic and basil helped. I used Quark cheese in place of ricotta; it's lower in fat, and has a pleasant tanginess.
Back into The Well... so sad, the main character just had to put down her old horse. Sounds cliche, but it was nicely described, and of course connected symbolically to her lousy relationship with her mother, a high maintenance little bitch. She couldn't after all put down her mother, literally.

4 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Quark cheese? That's a new one on me. I'll have to look for it. The lasagna sounds absolutely delicous.

How will I convince my visiting sister that this weather is definitely unusual? Should I even try? Another gorgeous day on the peninsula.

7:57 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I wanted to ask about the "Quark cheese" too. The dish sounds good and I'm not a big cheerleader for squash.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Quark is very popular among dieters.

Not that anybody here needs to know that.

Who doesn't like butternut squash? It's the least squashy of the squashes, isn't it?

8:45 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Robin, the Quark brand I used was a low fat version from Appel Farms, located in Ferndale, WA.
You know,I thought fleetingly that whoever was visiting would probably want to move here, based on the past few days; remind her there is a heavy price to pay in the bleak midwinter...

This soft cheese is very good by itself, I htink, with some herbs mixed into it, pop.

My mother is not fond of squash, kathy, but she has based this upon memories of canned squash. (shudder)

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home