Friday, April 27, 2007

Gloom boom

Socked in with chilly gray today, good time for a hairdo. We met another 89 year old woman there who was early for her appointment with the same stylist, so talked to her for a bit. She's still driving, she told me, and recently passed a driving test, so she's good until she's 94. This is kind of scary, considering the way people sometimes drive around here, but I've seen this woamn driving the back streets of our neighborhood, so if she sticks to those, she'll be all right. She also informed me that she walks about two miles a day; I've seen her moving along, very slowly, using her little four-footed cane. She seemed a cheerful sort, and my mother said she enjoyed meeting her and listening to her, the latter of which has always been my mom's wont. We get life stories all the time, even I, who doesn't smile as much as mom does, who will focus her big baby blues upon the speaker's face and smile and nod. Yet I still get the tales.

3 Comments:

Blogger Babette said...

You and your mother are good listeners.

One of our older children has tried paragliding. I enjoy the beautiful hike up to Poo Poo Point, named after the old coal trains, not the outhouse atop, where I can catch the action and my breath.

12:10 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Hmm... so did the trains go "Poo, poo!", inspiring someone to name it that?
Sometimes I am a good lsitener, and sometimes I am listening out of horrified fascination...

12:27 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Saturday was absolutely beautiful here. We spent almost the entire day outdoors. Socked in and cloudy on Sunday morning. Maybe it's a the day I'll bake bread.

I was once a good listener, but after 15 years advising at the university, my retirement came with permission to tune people out! LOL.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home