Monday, July 02, 2007

Dropped out

Our four day weekend of camping, kayaking and engaging with younger families with children aged two-plus to about age seven turned out to be enjoyable, once I got accustomed to sleeping in the tent. Despite the high number of big and little people involved, twenty grown ups and sixteen young'n's, no one fell off a cliff or got swept away by the currents in the strait. The kids were up early, but they all conked out nicely at night after hours of vigorous play and the nightly "some mores run off." They were less disruptive than the dogs brought in by a different group, which pets barked very loudly at random late night hours. They at least kept the dogs under control physically.
The weather started out with wide swings, from overcast, then pouring rain, a dramatic sunset clearing, and proceeded to increasingly lovely calm days perfect for beach idling or kayaking up and down along the coast. At least a couple of the three local resident pods of orcas presented themselves to us, some people being out in their kayaks by good luck as several orcas passed by, including a mother and baby. There were porpoises, seals, and an assortment of birds. When I was lying in the tent in the early morning, it was entertaining to differentiate among the bird calls that started around dawn. The oystercatchers out on a little preserve island had the most distinctive vocalizations.
The people in our group were fun to talk to, and their kids were a great little bunch. This doesn't mean I'm ready to be a grandmother, however. And of course one would be tidier and have more peace in fancier lodgings, but it was good to be in the mix with these folks. They seemed to possess so much hope and positive energy, which I need a dose of now and then.

6 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

Sounds to me like you had a marvelous experience. I'm glad you heard the birds in the early morning and tried to make out which calls belonged to whom. That's something I enjoy doing when I'm able to drag myself out of bed early enough and go outside. Glad you had a good time.

5:47 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, mfm. It was also good to get a little respite from worrying about caring for my mother. We have a great in-home healthcare provider, and once I get over the pre-trip fretting, and get on the road, it's amazing how refreshed I am even after just a few days.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

You're from Seattle and you prefer kids to dogs? That's just weird.

I'm glad you had a relaxing and invigorating respite!

I do not miss my daily June commute to Fremont, though I loved my yoga teacher training classes and the Friday Phinney Farmers Market.

Motherhood is good, but grandmotherhood is grand!

8:28 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, Babette, it depends on the dog, and the kid...
Not everybody in Seattle is a childless professional. There are 13 kids on our block, and at least one more on the way. The folks on the camping weekend all seem to live up in the Phinney Ridge/Ballard area.
I'm still not ready to be a gramma. :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Maybe it's in the water?! Le Chaim! ;~)

Have a great 4th of July, Isabelita! We'll be on our boat near Gasworks Park.

7:32 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

That does sound like a fine camping trip (well, minus the dogs barking). I've only seen an oystercatcher once, and never heard it vocalize. The birds sing at dawn here too. Only downside is that it starts at around 4:30 am! Still, it's always a beautiful serenade.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home