Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hibernian delights

We saw a food show about Ireland, which made us yearn for soda bread, among other items. I don't think I've ever made it, but all we need are some raisins or currants. That will be our homage to the day, not green beer. There was a recipe somewhere which substituted soy milk and margarine for lactose intolerant folks, Irish Soy-da Bread. Not sure it will make that much difference in the flavor, although buttermilk is distinctive.
Modified exercise routine today, to allow a bit of a rest day for the nonegenerian.

4 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

It's been a really long time since I've had soda bread. I had a roommate once in the 1970s who made it, and I remember it was quite yummy. I may have to try making it myself. Around that time, I was making a dark rye flat bread I believe was called Rishka (or something like that). Flat as a pizza, dark, and topped with poppy seeds. Delicious.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Green beer, bad. Boxty good. Try that next time your hankering for something Irish and you don't want corned beef.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Soy milk in soda bread?! Blasphemy!

But then, I would probably still eat it and enjoy it...

5:58 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Well, I haven't made it yet, with soy or any other kind of milk. I looked at the buttermilk at the store, and there would be to much of it left. I have been thinking about mixing non fat milk with yogurt for that sourish tang...
Read up on boxty, 'spike. It sounds good!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home