Thursday, May 08, 2008

Everything's on continuums

Our lives are sliding along some kind or another; if I were an obsessive type, I could chart my mother's movements along the continuum of aging. Every so often she has an anomolous spike, as today, when the sun came out and she just kept walking on into a sort of balmy breeze.
There is much discussion out on the 'net about what they've been calling transsexuality, with the latest thing a bit on NPR about a boy in Canada whose father insists he's too girly, so he's being "treated" by some lousy psych for liking the color pink. And forbidden to even think about touching dolls. This is going to be one of those overdiagnosed epidemics, such as happened with bi-polar disease; good thing no one ever worried about my hatred of dresses, dolls, and the color pink, as well as my love of tree climbing and hanging out with boys when I was under eight years old. Human sexuality is also on a continuum, not as black and white as many close-minded people would prefer to claim. I think that's the beauty of it, the complications.
I still don't like wearing dresses much, and still am a jock of sorts, have gay women friends who are far girlier than I'll ever be. It makes life grand.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Agreed, agreed. That's a terrible story, about the "too-girly" boy. Jebus, what's wrong with people.

12:51 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Yes, sexuality exists on a continuum, but that's just too complicated for a lot of people to grasp. What a shame. I also don't wear dresses, and to me dressing up means black jeans instead of blue. I guess I must be part boy.

3:07 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Yeah, me too, robin.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

child protective services needs to get involved!

My mothers day post is about a documentary I just watched, which is related to your post, "The Bible Tells Me So." Powerful stuff about the continuum of love/hate, ignorance and wisdom.

I'm a fairly femme lesbian, and I don't wear dresses except on very rare occasions. Love my lipstick, though!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Have you ever heard the song "When I Was A Boy" by Dar Williams? Great lyrics.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home