Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Reviving

There was warmth and sun today, so the ill rose from their gloom and walked among the living. How the nonegenarian avoids the germiness I cannot explain. Reading reviews and such lately; the latest Updike novel, The Widows of Eastwick, sounds intriguing, but I've always been a fan of his, through odd early short stories to later tomes. He began getting published at around age 21; he's now 72, I think, such a long productive writing life. Funny, he kind of looks like a witch in his photos.

4 Comments:

Blogger MarcLord said...

I started reading 'Rabbit, Run' once (in Japan) and it terrified me so much (he could've been writing about my town, and me) I stopped reading before the ending, because you could just tell it was going to end very, very badly. If written today, it would probably be titled 'Look Homeward, Asshole.'

Hope you're starting to feel above the weather.

2:44 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

That particular Rabbit novel was kind of horrifying, but the rest of them are really good. Worth steeling yourself for.
Thaks, we seem to be dragging our arses out of the microbial swamp.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Not unlike my feelings about Philip Roth, I kind of love/hate Updike.

The scene with Janice & the baby... Indelible.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's remarkable how many women you can piss off and send into irretrievable depression with the simple statement, "Rabbit Angstrom is Everyman!"

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home