Saturday, January 09, 2010

Worked

Bouldering can use you up in no time; after a little less than two hours' worth of trying every problem that looked possible for me, I finally fell off one and realized I couldn't manage any more. It's strange when you have a disconnect between brain and body, the brain still having fun and urging the body to carry on; the adreneline has to stop fountaining forth, and there's a distinct feeling of disappointment. Then reality kicks in, with all compass points feeling fatigued, and it's time to go home. My friend stayed with her weiner dog, who slept on my lap on the way down to the gym, she with her lover and the dog with his somewhat resistant little female playmate. They were well-trained little animals; usually I can't abide dachshunds and their owners, having had lousy experience of them in the main.
I got to talk a bit with the guy who had designed and built the walls at this new gym, as well as designed and produced holds for the routes. My ride home was with several men who own and/or manage climbing gyms; interesting to hear about the business. It's a much more fun version of a gym than your usual weights and aerobics joint.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

That does sound like quite a workout. Falling must be pretty scary. Will you go back for another climb there?

9:07 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I don't climb anything that looks like it would be possible to fall from up high; some the walls there were 17 feet, so I only did really easy routes up those. I also downclimb to the bottom or nearly, reducing the height of any fall. Only the young ones fall off anything!
I would go back, to see how it looks when everything is finished, as in the plumbing, and a few other details. It's pretty far away for regular outings.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home