Thursday, December 23, 2010

If the crick don't rise

All fairly smooth and uneventful this holiday; rolling along into the purportedly lighter times. Finished Virginia Woolf's first novel, The Voyage Out, which was much more traditional than her later ones, thus more accessible; have begun her collected short fiction, and can see the germination of her style. The Waves will follow. I did not like Mrs. Dalloway or To the Lighthouse when I read them years ago, but maybe I'll have a better appreciation of her these days. She has been very important to many subsequent writers.
Seem to have escaped a bug of some short but annoying duration, and am trying to get back into the exercise regimen which appears to keep me patched together. Such grayness and damp chill today, but my mother and her cohorts in their late morning exercises were fairly alert and cheerful. My mother observed that it looked nice outside, due to the absence of sideways rain no doubt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Taradharma said...

I took an entire class on Woolf in college. Luckily, had a great teacher to walk us through it.

I was unable to escape the bug - came down with a vengeance the other day, despite all my good efforts. I hope it is not sign of moral failure....

9:24 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

So did you appreciate Woolf?
Hope you're feeling better soon. Hey, if the people with "moral failure" as I define it would sicken, it wouldn't include you!

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woolf was required reading in some of my lit classed in college. I never acquired an appreciation of her style. Maybe I should try again.

It is Wednesday morning here, the 29th, and we finally have some sun. I hope it is shining there for you, and you are feeling well enough to get out and do some hiking and climbing.

8:14 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

robin a, my opinion of Woolf is improving with each bit I read. She was a keen observer of the state of women's lives, at least about the women she knew of, and an equally sharp chronicler. Worth revisiting, I think.
No climbing around here unless one braves ice and snow and their accompanying dangers; but I will continue to hike around the city!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home