Thursday, September 01, 2011

Indescribable

I was privileged to spend the day with our dear sweet offspring, who is an amazing rock climber; he drove us up to an outstanding place of granite unforgivingness, and was patient with his aging mother. We were able to warm up on an "easy" route, Princely Ambitions, then a bit harder one, Japanese Gardens, on the Index, Washington Lower Town Walls, a former granite quarry which has been secured and preserved as a climbing area and bird sanctuary. One looks up these steep cliffs, and wonders how a person might ascend; one starts climbing upon these steep cliffs, and continues to wonder how a person might ascend. The granite gives few clues. The day was perfect, cool winds, sun, warm rock... And as I was privileged to do a couple of years ago, I got to belay him on a route he'd been eying, Narrow Arrow Overhang; he climbed the line fluidly, and over the overhanging roof, nary a fall. Amazing to be able to watch an elite athlete up close. I tried the bottom section of this route, but it outdid me before I reached the first set of anchors. We warmed down on a classic, Godzilla, and packed up the gear. Soreness will be my companion for a couple of days, but as I told him, I am glad I can still be on at least the bottom rung of this elating effort.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic journey. I wish you had photos of it. I'm trying to imagine some of these beautiful granite walls.

7:48 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

You have to be right up next to them to see them, from their base. Look online for "Index Town Walls" climbing photos. Hard to take photos of people climbing, you get a lot of "butt shots"! The successful photographers set up from above, or go up and down ropes next to their subjects.
I did simple stuff, but it was fantastic for me.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just googled "Index Town Walls" and took a look. Wow. Magnificent granite. Looks great for climbing.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home