Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hablamos Espanol y Ingles?

When my mother and I came back from her morning walk, she decided she was going to greet the guys who are repairing our retaining wall in the little bit of Spanish dialog she remembers.
So she waved to them and asked, "Como esta usted?" One of the men grinned and asked her how she was. There followed a confused exchange, reminescent of something out of Through the Looking Glass, but he finally said, in both tongues,"I speak a little English, she speaks a little Spanish, we understand." Generous of him, but it thrilled my mom.
A little workout at the climbing gym this afternoon. My throat is pretty sore, and I'm achy, but I figure I should try to sweat some of this disease out. Warmed up with a mouthy teenager I've known for about four years. She was an actual Romanian baby, parodied on "Absolutely Fabulous", but Elena was adopted by US parents, and has had kind of a rough growing up time. We just get silly together, and work on our routes.
Off to bed. Got to sleep off this illness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home