Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Solid gone

Beloved son actually managed to leave as early as he had planned, which was good since he had to go pick up the two friends who were traveling with him. I had a horrible sleepless night, I guess due to anxiety over his impending trip. He also slept poorly, he said, but his next night's rest will be in a beautiful setting, chockful of rock formations and Joshua trees. He also has people to share the driving, should he get tired. Adding in time for an oil change somewhere along "The Five" - I-5 - they'll arrive tomorrow morning about 6 or 7 o'clock.
While doing some errands in the University District this afternoon, like rounding up more Elizabeth Bowen work, I passed by a clump of homeless men, one of whom had... a pitbull! It had a leash attached to its collar, but no one was holding it. It leaped straight up in the air just as I passed by, as high as one man's shoulder, as high as my face. Cold fear and anger ripped through my gut. Then as I reached a house not far from ours, a huge pitty-looking dog lunged at me, thankfully stopped by an ugly spiked metal fence, barking loudly and snarling. You know, I grow weary of large horrible dogs...
A better image was the rustling I heard in someone's big garbage container: When I glanced over at it, a squirrel popped out, carrying a Hershey Kiss in its mouth. It proceeded to expertly remove the silver wrapping, and greedily ate the chocolate.
Somehow I have agreed to go out after 9:00 pm to hear some music.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you have bad luck with the pit bull encounters.

You will be glad to know the weather let up down the I5 corridor today - bright and sunny in a gap between the storms.

Tried getting out on the water, but missed it by a couple of hours - Next storm due in on Friday - and it could howl.

Blog in sister, and stay away from big dogs and bad owners.

3:34 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike, were you trying for the gap, or the storm? There are surfers up here in many forms, from kayaking to kites, who seem to go for the howling stuff!
I had a nice, albeit slowish run today.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm for the howling winds - not so much the storm itself, but strong winds. I could do without the rain, but if that's what She brings, so be it.

I was out on 1 Dec last, and it was raining with gusts to 60 MPH. Windsurfing at it's most extreme- double black diamond out of bounds sailing for experts only if you will. That happened to be the strongest winds I have ever windsurfed - trouble is, now I have a hankerin' for more.

Still waiting for the spouse to wake up so I can get my AM run in. Some one has to watch the kids, at 3 and 1, they don't do a good job of watchnig themselves.

Blog on

7:03 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

'spike! You are a wind-loving demon! I applaud your courage. I can deal with heights and rocks, not so much wild water and winds.
Did you get out today?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The wind didn't cooperate - they are calling for better winds today (friday) or Saturday. Could be a great way to ring in the new year.

I am headed to the O'Niel wetsuit shop to pick up my refurbished suit today. I was using a loaner, but the one I am picking up is a windsurfing suit- not a surf suit - one that sheds rather than retains water. Keeps you warmer.

Have a wonderful new year Isa.

9:17 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

May the winds blow ye as ye desire!And you, too, have a fine weekend.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home