Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Surreality

When I read this headline on page 9 of my Seattle P-I, I experienced such intense cognitive dissonance that I was momentarily unable to make any sense of it:"Bush to take Japan's top Elvis fan to Graceland." But it is exactly what it states. The POTUS is taking Japan's Prime Minister to graceland, Elvis's monstrous former home and current "museum." Bush at one point says," Think about the American president traveling to Graceland with the prime minister of Japan. Let me ask you something - 60 years ago, would you have thought that would be possible?"
Yeah, yeah, I see what he's trying to claim here, but what struck me is how low things have sunk, how degraded his concept of cultural exchange is. And Japan's, too, it seems. Elvis. Hmm, what might be some other comparable events? Must be some world leaders out there who'd enjoy NASCAR. Or a canned game hunt, shooting animals from SUV's; or some patriotically-themed country western concerts. Or I bet some of those female European leaders would love a shopping spree at a Walmart. Show 'em the best of Amurka.
The world is slipping into the surreal, and I do not find it amusing. Not able to sit back and enjoy the slide.

4 Comments:

Blogger isabelita said...

No, I completely understand your feelings. This evening's news from the Supreme Court is interesting, though. We'll have to see if Bush/Cheney start heading towards martial law...

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not only did they go to Graceland, they served peanut butter and bannana sandwiches on AF1...not to mention some beverages with alcoholic content...see Snow-job's last sentence in today's Gaggle - or pop over to my location if you dare stomach the idea of the W, Rove and Co wasting another Taxpayer dime

1:55 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Had to laugh when I read that even Bush and his Japanese buddy weren't allowed to see the upstairs toilet where Elvis puked his last. Geez, that toilet must be like Jesus' tomb or something...

2:13 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Glenda, I haven't been online much. We're out of town, and the connectivity has been iffy. We may be watching a local 4th of July parade here in Ashland, Oregon, a notably feisty town, so maybe I can contribute some kind of offering for you after I get inspired...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home