Tuesday, July 11, 2006

How cool I am

From the cloudy days lately, during which the skies appear to strain in vain to rain. Shades of Cyrano, picking his rhyme scheme...
We resumed our attendance at our local Drinking Liberally outpost this evening. Talked with several local writers, which is always fruitful for me, as I hear explication about various topics, such as why newspapers are fading away as a source of information, and get a view into their workings from people who used to write for them. There was discussion about news media going completely electronic, but after reading about former Italian PM Berlusconi's uxorious take-over of almost the entire media network in that country, and thinking about how we're headed that way in this country, I think it is important to have some Gutenberg presses around in garages to make sure we still have options...
New folks show up at Drinking liberally. Last night a young guy only six days in residence after moving here from Boston came over and intrduced himself. He and the beloved spouse had a satisfying exchange over sports, and it turned out he's a formally trained musician who's interested in arts education. You never know who will be there, but we always have great conversations with the people that we meet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

Your comment about presses reminds me that simply because a technology is old doesn't mean that it is useless and outmoded. In fact, they day we run out of oil, the old manual things may come quite in handy.

10:52 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I wish there were enough liberals here in my area to do that.

10:59 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, yeah, 'spike, I was not entirely being facetious about a hand press. I learned how to use one during my BFA in printmaking days, and I could set movable type again for samizdat broadsheets...

Patricia, you're in Florida, yes? There are now 150 chapters of Drinking Liberally, but I don't know how close to you.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Makes we wish I'd been there earlier. My Baby has spent a lot of time in Italy and Berlusconi over there seems to be a lot like Bush over here: in charge but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who likes him. The more I learn about international politics, the more I think the 50-50 divisive thing is a worldwide phenomenon. See Mexico's presidential election as a very recent example supporting this half-baked thought.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home