Monday, July 03, 2006

Distillation

Thus far, we've seen Shakespeare's "Winter Tale", "The Diary of Anne Frank", "Bus Stop", and Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest." T'was my third viewing of Winter's Tale, and I was surprised to find myself appreciating most of it. Bus Stop was good, Earnest was all right, but the biggest gut check was Anne Frank. I read it long ago, when I was the same age Anne was when she first had to go into hiding, 14. Saw a movie version of it. Was not prepared for its emotional impact, seeing it now at age 55. Felt I would dissolve with weeping. The Oregon Shakespeare company is so talented, and the productions so excellent, that almost anything would be worth seeing, unless it's Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet for the umpteenth time.
Tomorrow night we see Cyrano de Bergerac, then King John, a rarely performed work of Shakespeare's. My last play will be Intimate Apparel, a new work by a playwright named Lynn Nottage. A dreamland of drama.
Exit stage left, chased by visions.

4 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

I envy you and yours having days of plays. My favorite wife and her friends visited the festival years ago. They regaled me with stories that made me want to go...but schedules and money and time and inertia have kept me away. I'll have to encourage my favorite wife to take her favorite husband back to Oregon for a treat! Enjoy yourselves!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Earnest is a great play, but always a dissapointment if not staged/produced well - I have seen it twice. The first time it was spectacular. The second, a dissapointment. I still love the double and triple entendre in the written work....of course, Shakespeare is great...and likewise, if well done transcends the generations...

well, I don't know where I am going with this comment other than to say, enjoy the shows.

9:30 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, you guys. Tonight's performance of King John was excellent.
Earnest was done up beautifully, 'spike, but it just struck me as not quite biting enough. Musta been my mood.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

mood does affect one's interpretation, doesn't it.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home