Monday, July 24, 2006

Mad cats, and Yankee gals

We decided to beat the midday sun, and get out right for my mother's walk after breakfast. Excellent strategy, since we made it the whole four blocks. Rico the cat heroically dashed from shade pool to shade pool, and appeared to heave sighs when he realized he needed to move to keep up with us.
Afternoon climbing gym workout with a bevy of similarly insane women friends. Took a while to warm up, but when my friend and carpool buddy had to leave to go pick up her kids at Husky soccer camp, I felt ready to try something hard, so quickly worked on a strenuous problem before we left. It was good to be out of the intense sun and drying wind. Perhaps we should look into developing old mine shafts for climbing when the weather conditions aren't right.
Went out to mail a letter, and kept walking south, down the hill to Lake Union. Many single crew shells dotted the surface, moving like water bugs on steroids. A few eights lay motionless, their crews taking a brief rest before powering up and moving along in their relentlessly regal way. The clogging group was there on the terrace, practicing their moves to the accompaniment of tuba and accordian. The sunset wasn't far enough along to lower the ambient temperature, so Kite Hill didn't afford as much relief as I'd hoped it would.
Walking uphill on the shady side of the street, I felt a hint of cooler air creeping down.

4 Comments:

Blogger enigma4ever said...

wow..I felt like I was right there...and I was even having a bit of dejavu...and then voila- it turns out I was...LAKE UNION???? sure enough you are blogging from Seattle....my homsick heart says Thank you....I will link you up..great blog...

1:12 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I feel so sorry for you guys up there dealing with the heat. Down here in sunny fla. we are used to hot summers but our summer isn't even as hot as yours this year.

Take care :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, thanks, E4E. I'm a very visually oriented observer, so you will get much of my environment. We live south of Green Lake, north of Lake Union, to the east of the zoo.

pop, it was cool again this morning, and today is what i'd call perfect Seattle weather, as in high 70's, cooling breezes, low humidity.
We're okay again, thanks, at least for a few days. I should perhaps go look at swamp coolers...

4:41 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I have no idea what has developed in this dear animal's brain, but he follows us every single day, sometimes twice a day.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home