Friday, August 25, 2006

Endotheweek

Busy morning, procuring injera and miserwat for my adopted Ethiopian nephews; the spongy flat bread and spicy red lentil sauce are favorites of theirs, and come from a tiny store/deli called Zuma. As I waited for the women there to put together my order, one came out and asked if I would like coffee. I'd heard that Ethiopian coffee is amazing, so I accepted. She brought back a lovely demitasse full of dark brew and a bit of cream, from a pot they'd just made for themselves. They roast green coffee beans, grind them, and brew them in a special pot, a design that's been used for a very long time. Could not be much fresher. It was a gift from them, no charge.
Family arrives this evening, and it will be fun to see the boys.

4 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

My wife and I truly love Ethiopian foods we have had. We're particularly partial to kitfo, which is traditional raw beef...but we have to insist on having it served to us in the traditional way. I guess many Americans are put off by raw beef. The fiery spices, the brilliant flavors...it's magnificent stuff. We don't have any Ethiopian groceries in Dallas, that I'm aware of. But we do have a precious few restaurants that are wonderful.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I need to bathe in that coffee - wow! roasted from the green beans, ground and brewed? Sounds like the gormet of gormets versions of coffee. Sounds wonderful. Seattle is always ahead of the curve in the coffee department.

12:29 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

mfm, have you been to Ethiopia? Just wodnering how you acquired a taste for its food. We had a good discussion about Ethiopian breads this morning before they left, with much Googling. My nephews evidently don't like meat.

'spike, ironically, this coffee was from a tiny Ethiopian store, not some cool Seattle coffee house, and they used their traditional method to make it. Also - the women gave me the coffee. It woulda cost a couple bucks at least at any coffee joint here. But you are right, it was fantastic.

2:00 PM  
Blogger JS said...

isbelita, we've not been to Ethiopia. We acquired our taste while living in Chicago several years ago...we had friends who were also adventurous eaters and, together, we tried every ethnic food we could find. They all stuck!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home