Thursday, November 23, 2006

Bird Baking Day

Somehow I wound up being in charge of the cherry pie, which I was trying to avoid. I can live without eating pies in general, really, and some horrible experiences with pie crusts make me even less disposed towards making them. They are useless calories, easily avoided. However, I used a vegan shortening called Earth Balance, and it produced a wonderful flaky and tasty crust. We had some cherries left from this summer's crop from the tree in our side yard, which I pitted all by myself, the helper still alseep after a late night. The rest of the feast was delicious as well, even the brussel sprouts, sauted in olive oil and garlic. Since I am a compassionate daughter and not a vengeful one, I didn't insist that my mother eat them, as she used to do with everything she ever served. The parents insisted on clean plates. My approach is, don't make stuff people hate to eat, and if there's something some do like but a few don't, let them know they don't have to partake out of politeness. More brussels sprouts for some of us.
We had a good after dinner walk, under partly cloudy and starry skies.

5 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Your pie crust sounds delicious. I'll have to try that some time with Earth Balance shortening. My parents never made the kids eat what they didn't like eating. In fact, my father would make a different meal for each of us, if we couldn't all agree on something for dinner. My sister was a very finicky eater. We were very spoiled. Our only rule at the dinner table with Roger's daughters, when they were young, was that they could not make gross-out sounds about the food we served them. They didn't have to eat it, but they could not say, "Ugh!" We had a rainy day on Thursday, but today there have been actual moments of beautiful sunlight.

2:23 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Robin, I was pleased that the pie turned out well. A friend who is a very good vegan chef has told me she likes the way doughs handle and taste when she uses Earth Balance or Nature's Balance, both vegan butter substitutes. And now that I've tried it, I agree.
Well, we had a few scenes of people, usually my sister or me, having to sit at the table long after dinner was over, staring at some horror we didn't want to eat. I think it was probably my dad's doing, he was very strict. Loving, but way too strict.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

My sister used to hide green beans under her knife. Like no one would find them there later...

Hope you had a happy turkey day, even if you had a temporarily unhappy turkey.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pitting cherries is a thankless job...one I have executed alone sans helper as well. It helps to have a helper....not unlike the Beatles suggested a long while back:-)

Blog on Isa, blog on all.

9:42 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Thanks, kathy. It was nice to have our little family all at the table at the same time.

'spike, are you having a Beatles revisitation? Sean Lennon was here in Seattle not too long ago. Seeing his photo in the paper was eerie, he so closely resembles his famous father.
Well, I pitted them out of love. Certain things, however, I would not do for it...

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home