Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"Noah...." "WHAT?"

I just heard on NPR that today is the birthdate of Albert Camus. And Joni Mitchell's, too. I share a birthday week with some creative souls.
Trotted over to vote this morning. Our state is probably going vote by mail next year, so this may have been the last trip to our longtime polling location, in the basement of the former Good Shepherd School for Wayward Girls, now a historical building. Although I've always considered this activity to be an honored tradition, in fact mail-in ballots may get more votes in, which pisses off local neocons and their ilk. So I'm perfectly agreable in making the change, unless they somehow figure out a way to mess with the mail. As I left the polling place, a man asked me if I'd just voted. Then he started a little rant about how no one checked for proof of citizenship or picture ID. I told him I'd showed mine; he claimed no one had asked him. I asked him who he voted for the US Senate, and he told me he picked Mike! McGavick, a sleazy Bush mouthpiece, to put it mildly. That exclamation point after the first name was a stupid ass bit of campaign bullshit by McGavick, by the way. I couldn't suppress a groan, and asked him why. He proceeded to tell me he was a small business owner, paid over $30,000 in property taxes, and didn't want to pay any more. Well, we had a civil but intense exchange, and I do see his point about state funding problems, but electing McGavick won't fix it.
And by cracky, the jerk wasn't elected!

4 Comments:

Blogger isabelita said...

Yes'm, that was its actual name. The little alternative elementary school our son attended, and I taught in for seven years, was housed in what had been the kitchen wing of the home. My second grade classroom had an electric range, which came in handy for certain units of study. The Home had been run by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, and I have been told that these nuns were mean ass. Many young girls who'd gotten pregnant stayed there,running a laundry, and their babies adopted by Catholic families.
Oh, me too, Kathy...

10:19 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I think all votes should be cast at the Good Shepherd Church for Wayward Girls! That is too cool. And I had to go to the Rolling Forks Town Hall. Shoot. Anyway, joyous day! I don't know about the wayward girls, but we sure got rid of a bunch of wayward boys!

2:41 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

yeah, but neil, you got free chili! I got nothin' but aggro from some asshole profiteerian!
Oh, you're right, though, a bunch of bums got thrown out. I raise a cautious cheer...

7:25 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Fittingly (with the theme of Wayward Girls), one of the city referenda the got stomped was a move to require topless dancers to maintain a 4-foot distance from their customers. I love our "values" voters.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home