Monday, December 18, 2006

Sparrow swarms

There seem to be huge groups of sparrows constantly thronging our backyard and one of our neighbor's. They like the holly tree bulging over from her side, and if there were any berries on it, have probably stripped them. They are a cheery lot, but they leave their tiny little droppings all over. Every so often, they will fall utterly silent; if you look out to see what happened, there is usually a cat skulking by.
The windstorm provided one good thing: A multitude of downed greenery in a wide variety, which I've been picking up and sticking in my old grapevine wreath form. Wound a bit of stiff wide cranberry and gold-colored ribbon in there, and it looks just like downtown, as someone in the family used to say. A dear friend brought over some cookies she'd made with her teenaged daughter, so I could get a fix and didn't have the temptation of piles of things I'd made lying around. They're very good for breakfast.

1 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

We have a large flock of Ibis coming to our yard almost daily. You should see our driveway after they leave. Ibis are large birds and what they leave behind is about as big as what a house cat leaves behind. This is a get the hose out and wash it all away kind of a mess.

I guess someone has given us a gift with food inside. I found Murphy trying to open a gift this morning. I caught him before he did any damage. He may be old, deaf and almost blind, but his nose is still working properly.

I didn't bake anything this year. The mood just never hit me. Know what? I don't miss it. :)

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home