Friday, December 08, 2006

In the bloody sands

So I took a peek into that Robert Fisk book about the Middle East; so I had to wait around all day today quietly for a repair dude to tell me our ancient dryer has no replacement parts anywhere in this dimension, and read a bunch more of the book. It's terrific. We just decided we'd keep it, and get another one for the family member. The author, Robert Fisk, has this to say about certain warriors in the Middle East: "For 'terrorists,' read 'guerrillas' or - as President Ronald Reagan would call them in the years to come - 'freedom fighters.' Terrorists, terrorists, terrorists. In the Middle East, in the entire Muslim world, this word would become a plague, a meaningless punctuation mark in all our lives, a full stop erected to finish all discussion of injustice, constructed as a wall by Russians, Americans, Israelis, British, Pakistanis, Saudis, Turks, to shut us up. Who would ever say a word in favour of terrorists? What cause could justify terror? So our enemies are always 'terrorists.' In the seventeenth century, governments used 'heretic' in much the same way, to end all dialogue, to prescribe obedience. Karmal's (Babrak Karmal, installed as the President of Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion) policy was simple: you are either with us or against us. For decades, I have listened to this dangerous equation, uttered by capitalist and communist, presidents and prime ministers, generals and intelligence officers and, of course, newspaper editors."
He has hit upon a cold hard point of truth about the repeated blunders which are leading the world into real terror.

6 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

I wish I understood the message behind the bombings. I know the existence of Israel is an absolute affront to Muslim sensibilities, but what beyond that is the deeper discontent? I suppose I wish the bombings and violence were to wrest power from the elites and restore it to the peasantry, you know those kinds of stories I can really understand. A desire to stay tethered to an old book, subjugate women, and deny the present era just doesn't stir my passions for their success. Closed theocracies that promote religious wars will never be listed under the definition of freedom fighter for me. This in no way should be construed or interpreted to mean that I think what we have done in the middle east is excusable. It is not. But I don't think that our ugliness elevates their brutality to something noble.

2:24 PM  
Blogger JS said...

Fisk understands what too many of our present and past administrations have not: any meaningful dialogue between the Western world and the Middle East must be based on mutual respect for very different cultures. Beyond that, it demands an acknowledgement by the West that we do not necessarily possess the 'correct' interpretation of the world around us and the morals that shape our respective societies. I agree with RA that, through my lens and with my moral compass, 'our ugliness does not elevate their brutality to something noble.' But, I think an effective diplomatic solution to the problems in the Middle East will leave that judgement out of the conversation. If we can somehow stop the cascading violence long enough to diminish the stridency of opposing viewpoints, I think the likelihood of achieving success in addressing some of the issues RA mentions will be far greater than they are today.

3:42 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Robin, I think the point is that the British started mucking about a long time ago in their drive for empire-building, drawing lines, creating "countries" which did not exist previously, which all the tribes did not acknowledge, rightfully I would say. I would say I do not feel a kinship to the invading Brits, they are not MY "we." Israel was an artificial construct as well, and financed by the Rothschilds, who promoted the idea of a homeland. There was obviously no clear explanation to the people that got booted from Palestine exactly how much territory the Israelis were going to take, and thus it has continued. At this point, I think Israel needs to stop being agressive in taking land, but it may be too late.
However, that brings us to the brutality you mentioned, which is everywhere in the Middle East. Fisk ponders this too, and thinks that it's all so many of these people know, at least in Afghanistan, where many were in refugee camops and didn't have any other model for a community. The backwardness of their strains of Islam makes it worse. And now there are so many Iraqis already in refugee camps in Jordan and Syria, and many more leaving Iraq -yet MORE grim existence, to be replicated endlessly.
I don't think Fisk found much nobility in many situations, but he surely explains where the brutality comes from. And he has also observed that the Afghans, for example, are cunning and swift to attack. When you read what the Russians did to them, it's understandable.
You know, I am getting the increasing sense that this area and its people are so alien to the West, there's no point at all in being there. At some time it might have been possible to think through a diplomatic appraoch, but I fear it is way too late...

3:43 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, I didn't see your post, mfm. You put the diplomatic idea well. I am very pessimistic about the US being able to do it, though, and especially with Prezdint Fuckwit in charge.

3:46 PM  
Blogger JS said...

isbelita, I think you've been reading and adopting the attitudes of the Grumpy Old Man...I'd smile but the whole fucking mess makes me want to lose my lunch. It's too late, I'm afraid, for any reasonable diplomatic approach to work because the U.S. has utterly ruined all chances of success.

7:49 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

No, mym, I do read GOM, or El Viejo Malhumorado, as I call him, but do question the intensity of his observations. He has an interesting perspective, having left the US some time ago, and having lived in Europe for so long.
My attitude is my own. I have seen and heard nothing but word mincing, rationalizations and outright lying from those who are supposed to be guiding this country and adding value to the world. The more those in charge - do you want me to call them "gentlemen"? - I don't think they deserve to be called anything but pirates - blather on, the more time is wasted, and we are brought closer to peril.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home