Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Faith-based fuck-ups

So here in the Seattle area, we have had the ultra-conservative Jewish rabbi threatening a federal lawsuit over "holiday trees" at Seatac Airport, and a later meeting of what's passing for minds which restored the tree decorations and paved the way for a giant menorah to go up next year as well. Dave Horsey's editorial cartoon in this morning's Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper was quite humorous and to the point: It depicted a list of gates, and which religious symbol could be viewed at each one. Frankly, I think these religious reactions are like a bunch of kids arguing over some petty thing, and all involved should get time outs. It even does really go on among children, which is chilling: My sister's youngest, in second grade, was hassled by a little bible-beating classmate who told him that since he was Jewish, he didn't know anything, and that anyone who wasn't "Christian" was going to hell. Oh, and Santa is really Satan - (Well, we've known that for years, thanks to Saturday Night Live's "Church Lady!") He also asked my nephew if his parents were dead - the biological ones are - and when my nephew said yes, the little brainwashed shit told him they were "feasting," by which he meant with the worms. The little future preacher of America then told his little pals they could be saved by praying with him, and took them up to a cubicle to be used for reading. My nephew said nuts to that, and good for him.
The teacher has been informed to keep her eyes open for more of this crap.
One can only imagine how that little "Christian" is bombarded at home with the hypocritical misinformation from his parents.
Merry holy fricking whatever.

2 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

Ah, the joys of religion. So inspiring, so heartwarming, so necessary to our peaceful world. That's why I worship the wind (or whatever I feel like at the moment).

4:37 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Wow! Blogger is letting me comment.

I was so disappointed when I read that SeaTac had taken down the trees (glad to see they're back up). It seems like it would have been much easier to just put up a menorah. I also cringed to see a rabbi asking for a menorah just because the request made it so easy for people to add one more reason why they should hate jews. Jews made SeaTac take down the Christmas trees. My solution: Celebrate solstice. That's what this sesason is all about anyway. Get religion out of everything and put it back in the house of worship where it belongs. Well, if I had my way, there'd be no religion at all anywhere, but that's not a very popular position, is it? I'd put up with religion in a very small sphere.

I can't believe what kids are being taught these days. Yikes. No wonder the world is in such bad shape.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home