Saturday, March 03, 2007

Appliances

Why don't the damned things last forever? Well, I suppose the thirty some years our avocado green washer and dryer have endured almost qualifies as forever. I resent the bloody hell out of having to waste time shopping for replacements, as ours wind down the hours of their existence. I am not a shopper, do not thrill to the hunt for consumables, harbor strong suspicions that the next round of these big ticket items will not last much more than a decade or so. Yet we do need clean clothes, and I'll not be dragging laundry down to the lake to pound them on rocks by the shore, so...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Hmm. Avocado? Maybe some '70s retro designer freak will pay to take them?

8:41 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I hate to shop. One of my least favorite activities. It's why I shop online. I have not been to a mall in, well, I can't remember the last time I went to a mall. We went to a box store to buy the new laptop in November. Scary places. Weird lighting. No air. We had an old avocado green washer that came with the house we bought in Santa Cruz in 1995. It died in 2000. You're right, the new stuff does not last as long.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Even worse is being hounded for those extra add on service agreements...I was getting a new toaster - 30 bucks or so at some big box store. The checker asks, cheerfully, "do you want the service contract to go with that for the next two years, if it breaks for any reason, we will fix or replace it?" I said, "is there somethign wrong with this toaster that it will break in the next two years?" She said no. And then she proceeded with the spiel once again...I replied, "look for the 8 bucks and interest I save in not getting your service agreement, if it breaks, I'll toss it off the roof and get more entertainment value and a new one if I need to." Thanks, but no thanks

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home