Saturday, April 21, 2007

Mowing it down

A family effort finally leveled the hayfield in our yard. It looks better, I suppose. I liked the intense green of the grass, but not everyone shares my vision. Great walking today, with the flower indentification tutorial I do daily as more plants bloom. There are a few nobody seems to remember the names of, and one in particular that looks like tiny broccoli flowers and smells like dirty socks. I don't mind not knowing its label, but since its flowers are a brilliant yellow, my mother's favorite hue, she keeps asking me about them. We watch in amazement as the chickens perform their vigorous dust bathing.
The night is cold and rainy, wintry almost.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Stinky broccoli flowers? What could that be?

4:48 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I do not know....

8:08 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Can't help you with the flower's name but I sure can understand the fun of spring and all the lovely flowers large and small.

6:20 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

We're in for some sunshine! Woohoo. Time for gardening and hiking around, and I can't wait.

I don't know what that stinky broccoli flower could be. What do the leaves look like?

8:29 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Today may be the last nice one for a bit here, folks...
The leaves of the unknown flower, which tends to cascade over retaining walls, are narrow and sort of medium green, lobed on the ends; it's just not a very glamourous little plant.

10:15 AM  
Blogger JS said...

OK, I'm taking a chance at being utterly, completely, and irrevocably wrong, but I'm thinking the broccoli-flower might be yarrow. If I'm wrong, I will appreciate everyone keeping their incredulous laughter to yourselves.

5:53 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

mfm, it isn't a yarrow. But I did get a clue today from a little old lady who has a bunch of it in her front yard. When I asked her if she knew what it was called, she said,"Golden....oh, golden something. I can't remember!"
Folks, getting old is like going through the mirror for Alice in Wonderland...

6:14 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ah ha!!! I googled, and was rewarded; it's called Goldentuft. It grows alongside a white trailing plant around here called Candy Tuft.
I still think it smells like stinky socks.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home