Thursday, May 17, 2007

Another perfect spring day

Another tomato plant found its way into our yard; there were some big healthy-looking cherry tomato starts at the grocery store, so I brought one home. Weeded and turned over yet another bit of ground, and discovered several potato plants that had sprung up from spuds undiscovered last fall. Moved them, mounded around them, and now there is a good little potato field going. If we can't count on the tomatoes, what with their need for hot humid nights to achieve true ripeness, we will at least have potatoes. The Irish in us is satisfied.
Our friend with the chickens had gone up north to a grange with another friend who was getting baby chicks, and came home with two little ones herself, although that had not been her intent. We got to see them and hold them, and of course they are damnedably cute. She has to introduce them to the biddies she already has, cautiously. They're Rhode Island Reds, and I wonder what color their eggs will be.
Chekov is a companionable read.

6 Comments:

Blogger JS said...

I know nothing about chickens. But your descriptions of your recent experiences make me wonder...maybe I, too, can learn a bit more about Rhode Island Reds, et al. I also envy your garden...and your tomatoes. Dammit. I need to get with the program.

6:23 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

We planted our tomatoes in the greenhouse this year. Last year it was half in garden and half in greenhouse. The garden tomatoes just were not as productive. Have you ever considered building some kind of cloche or protection for them, so that they are kept warm all summer? We volunteer potatoes all over the yard. It's quite a nice surprise to find a plant, dig into the roots and come up with hand full of reds or yukon gold. Yum. Good luck.

7:36 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

mfm, the chickens do need some tending, particularly in the clean-up department. A nice coop to live in, an enclosed yard to hunt and peck in, but the eggs seem to be worth the effort.

Robin, I thought last summer had to have been hot enough and long enough to ripen tomatoes. In some instances it seems to have been. But I agree, something to hold in the heat at night would serve them well.
I have yet more seed potatoes to plant, Yukons and some kind of Dutch ones. We'll have those, by gum, if nothing else comes up!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

We enjoyed weather paradise on Tiger Mt. yesterday, too. Tomatoes and chicks - what fun!

One of my daughters performed in Chekov's "Uncle Vanya" with the EEP Drama Society at U Dubb a few years ago. She plays the carillon bells in the mornings. Can you hear them from your little farm?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Babette, the U is across I5 from us, and downhill eastward from there, so I don't believe we've ever heard the carillon. Monkey screeching from the zoo we've got in abundance.

We're seeing The Cherry Orchard in Ashland this July.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Isa,

I don't know what happened to your comments. I would go into the settings section of the blogger dashboard and trouble shoot it from there. Sometimes when they upgrade, your comments preferences get switched off. I remember this happening to my location at one time.

I would start there.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home