Saturday, June 09, 2007

Girls in the mist

Cold, wet and low visibility; the day was not a notable span of time, and was spent in choring around.
Carter's Heroes and Villains is fabulous, a dystopic story from the 1960's; she must have been in her mid-twenties when she wrote it. She brings wit, intelligence and wonder to a tale set in a violent and hopeless little world, a UK destroyed by "umbrellas of fire" in the skies. It's one of those works I try not to read too quickly, and am wistful at being nearly finished.
Now that I think about Carter's collection of nonfiction work which I read, I recall that she was very much alarmed and in high dudgeon over the nuclear arms situation in the world. Her imagined nuclear holocaust afterworld is astonishing, and stands up well to any other dystopic novel I've ever read, including those by Russell Hoban, Margaret Atwood or David Mitchell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home