Friday, June 01, 2007

High and lows

Yesterday began with a celebratory event, a former child of the neighborhood's graduation from culinary training. He had to create a menu for a huge final project, which involved supervising a kitchen full of classmates putting out this meal to a dining room full of people. As we got into our friend's car, there was some mention of a threat having been delivered to the educational institution where we heading, as in,"I'm going to kill everyone at ____ on May 31st." We didn't discuss it on the way up there, but there was a notice on the front door of the main entrance detailing this threat, and informing us that there was increased security. Nobody else seemed to have noticed this posting, nothing was said, and we all went inside. As I walked down the hall, I looked around at our group, pondering the thoughts one might have at such a time, and decided to put them out of my head. The menu was small tastings of breakfast, lunch and dinner items, and very good. As we left the building, we passed several armed security guys. I read later that more than half the students stayed away from the campus. I was divided between thinking we had been careless going up there, and being glad we'd decided it wasn't such a huge risk. Nothing did ever occur.
We ended the day by watching a sweet little independent film,"The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill." A full moon punctuated the night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is wrong with people?!

I'm glad it didn't spoil the final project.

2:50 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

kathyr, f--k if I know. Of course my first fearful imagining had to do with explosives or guns, but then I started wondering about the water supply...
Well, besides being stuffed like boa constrictors after swallowing some small animals, no one has suffered any ill effects that I've heard about. We were all thrilled that this young fellow's big event wasn't screwed up, too.

3:41 PM  
Blogger JS said...

What utter madness! I'm glad you went and enjoyed the event. Not sure what I would have done. I think the older I get, the less likely I am to believe that people who make threats will carry them out...and then I see evidence to the contrary.

7:09 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

I think most murderous lunatics don't send notes warning of their intentions. I could be wrong about that, but the note is usually the thrill itself, for that brand of lunacy. Still, you were rather brave going into the building.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home