Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Dead tired woman walking

Such a day; we had a seven mile hike up to the climbers' trail to Mount Thompson, a strenuous clamber up a fallen rock field to the base of the climb, a fun climb and couple of rappels, and a tortuous decent down more talus. My friend, who led the climb, told me I was earning my merit badge points for "alpine groveling". I think I groveled enough getting down from the climb, then back up to the notch where we met the climbers' trail, and down that goat track to the main trail to earn a whole sash's worth of badges, but I must admit I don't do this on a regular enough basis to be better fit to do it, as she does. The return seven miles seemed long, and I was sore, with new sore areas cropping up to supercede the former ones. Plenty of bug bites, too, and I have so many lumps threatening to itch that it doesn't pay to start on any of them. I'm glad we did this, but I have no desire to return to that peak. The trail, yes. It was like a stroll down a garden path after that approach and descent.

4 Comments:

Blogger Babette said...

Impressive!

I'm glad you're safe and sound. Your use of the verb "transpired" yesterday had me a tad worried.

Epsom salts and a massage at the Lynnwood Korean baths might help.

7:01 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, transpired is just a fancy synonym for "happened." Now, EX-pired, that's another thing altogether! I didn't expire...
Babette, we could see Mount Stuart from the top of our little peak, as well as all the volcanoes. And thank you for the suggestion of the salts and massage; thus far, I've been just walking a bit, and applying arnica gel.
And my almost ninety year old mama was concerned, and didn't want me to help her much today on our walks!
Ah, well, I'll recover.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Thank you for the vocabulary correction. Some yoga inversions are obviously needed to stimulate my tired brain.

Is arnica gel a homeopathic remedy?

10:54 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Babette, it is. I found out about it from a friend who was dating an acupuncturist. I also started hearing more about it from climbing buddies, one of whom is a traditional OB/GYN, and was on a soccer team with several acupuncturists and naturopathic physicians. She said she used it, so I have been buying it for a few years now; the brand is Boiron.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home