Friday, December 21, 2007

Mercy

Decided we needed less of that and more action; the rehab program for the sore back is stepping up, literally, and it seems to be working.
I have friends with virtuous names, like Faith, Hope, and Joy. One sleepless night I lay there, going through the alphabet trying to come up with virtues that would make good names, wondering which I'd choose. Amity, Beauty - no, Brevity - Charity, Delight, Equanimity...on through Zest. I think I'd like Brevity; it fits my style and my physique. Nemesis is good, too, but maybe a tad too intense.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygod, what I wouldn't give to have been named Nemesis. Brilliant.

8:47 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

What a grand idea. Now I've got to figure out which word of virtue would best suit me. I'll do that on one of the nights when I'm awake at 2:00 am listening to the drunken revelers leaving the upscale bars in town.

8:54 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

If you go to wikipedia, there are several lists of virtues. the Roman ones sound nicely exotic! You got your "Salubritas", or wholesomeness; "Frugalitas", or frugalness; and here's one almost as good as Nemesis, "Severitas",or sternness.
Huh. many of them sound like chi-chi happy hour drinks! "Barkeep, gimme a Humanitas with a twist!"

11:17 AM  
Blogger JS said...

Initially, I was disappointed that none of my virtues showed up on the Wikipedia list of Roman virtues. Then I realized I have no Roman virtues. And so I wept, but soon came to realize that all I need to do is adopt an attitude of firmitas.

10:07 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Ha! So make up your own virtue, mfm; oh, you sort of did. Firmitas it is!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home