Sunday, January 20, 2008

Skipping along

Last night we did the environmentally beneficial thing and took a bus downtown to a "zero" birthday party for someone we've known through our son, who went to school with her son. She had the fete in a vacant condominium at the Pike Place Market, and it was enjoyable. Her son and a friend performed for part of the evening, on guitar, banjos, flute, harmonica and hand drum, and they sang, too. Very good; so was the food. The caterer is originally from Minnesota, and had made the most incredible Swedish meatballs I've ever tasted. They're not usually one of my choices. There were all kinds of appetizers, from seafood skewers to beef and chicken ones, pesto ravioli, cheeses, fruit plates, Novia Scotia lox, with capers, onions and sour cream, bruschetta, wonderful spiced mixed nuts, and a dessert table with a tartin of some kind, peach, or apricot, a layered cheesecake, and this almond cake which was the most delectable item I've ever seen, with whipped cream and lingonberry sauce; then they brought out a red velvet cake, not by the caterer, yet still very good. I don't think I even managed to taste everything. When I told the caterer I was trying to figure out how to smuggle some of the almond slices into my purse, she gave me a take out box. Said she'd made it for King Olaf of Sweden when he visited Minneapolis, but never heard if he'd tried it. Foolish king.
Then we took the bus home, a bit before midnight. Rowdies out roaming the streets downtown, but fortunately we were not noticed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Wooh! Sounds like an amazing food fest.

9:39 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

What a fine list of delectable items. Yum.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home