Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bloatmeal

So it's important for humans to get enough fiber in their diets, to simulate days of yore when they were scavenging and eating whatever plants looked chewable and didn't kill them. I'm not about to go out foraging, despite my love of nature, so the hunt is on for at least mildly tasty items which will suffice. I have been told that tempeh is a very fiber-ish substance. It looks unappealing to me, but with enough fibrous vegetables and colorful seasoning, perhaps it'll make the fly list.
The birthday person got letters today from former third and fourth grade students, thanking her for being such a great teacher. One of them has been teaching for 27 years, and told my mother she uses activities from her own third grade days; when she tells her classes they're going to do things she herself did as a third grader, they get very excited. This has been a wonderful thing for my mom.

4 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Roger makes a delicious spicy tempeh dish. If you cut it into 1/2 inch pieces, wok it with onions until nice and dark, add tamari, hot chili oil, and sugar, you'll get something pretty damned tasty.

Nice story about your mom's former students. There are some teachers that really do leave a positive lasting impression.

1:36 PM  
Blogger JS said...

My mom was a teacher. It was fabulous when a former student told her how important she had been as a teacher. I wish I'd told Mrs. Stephenson and Ms. Corbett how much of an impact the had on me.

5:55 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, that sounds delicious, robin. I'm turning a leaf, whether I like it or not...

Is it too late, mfm? I've had a couple of former second graders come up to me in the past couple of years and tell me I was their favorite teacher; it's an amazing feeling.

9:44 PM  
Blogger JS said...

isabelita, I'm afraid it's too late for those teachers. But maybe I can find their families. It would be nice to brighten someone's day by letting them know their mother or aunt or grandmother was an enormously appreciated teacher.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home