Monday, February 18, 2008

Dare we hope

Absolutely fabulous day, with walks aplenty and time with my oldest climbing friend; she's still finishing up with the blasted breast reconstruction, but should be cleared before too long. It's driving her nuts not to be able to really go all out as she is wont to do, but we "older gals" have learned a bit about waiting things out, if not necessarily perfect patience. We aren't nuns.
Doris Lessings' The Golden Notebook is humming along. On the surface a reader might think it's very much a women's book, but then, it's written by one so of course all its iterations will be colored by that fact. Iterations because its structure seems to be a novel within a novel, all with a memoir-ish flavor; I'm drawn in, but do get stopped at times by some intensity in the scenarios.

3 Comments:

Blogger Naj said...

Dear Isabelita,

I just wanted to come and personally acknowledge your comment to me at marcLord's place.

Women of the 70s did much to "liberate" the women of today, but they liberated the women into a different cage. The women of 70s liberated me, the woman of 2000s into a world where I have to be BOTH a man, and a MOTHER. the women of 70s called for equality for me and the male counterparts! Today, I do not want equality, I want fairness. I want to be given the right and the respect DUE for me being a mother, being a housewife, JUST as much as me being the university rector!

As for Hillary's age ... this world is not kind to older men and women equally. This society is obsessed with youth. This society has not a special regard for the wisdom that comes with age. Look at our popular culture, the silver tube, how are we portraying grand parents? They are all old, odd, unreasonable, useless, annoying!

Point to me one example of the popular culture where a grandparent is HONORED.

We love survivors series!

6:17 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Naj - Thank you for coming over. I still maintain that much ground was covered by my generation regarding the increase of choices for women. Women still don't earn the same amount of money as men in all highly paid professions, and there are still plenty of glass ceilings, but there are more choices. Things move slowly, far too slowly, but it's better than it used to be. If you are a wife and mother, and able to stay home without working outside your home, there are probably plenty of women who would envy that, not disrespect it.
I was home with our son for the first five years of his life, and was about the only one not out working in an office and putting our child in daycare. I just didn't care what others thought.
As far as popular culture is concerned, who the heck cares? On another topic,
Are you in Iran, or here in the USA? What do you think of Marjane Satrap's graphic memoir,"Persepolis"? Have you read it, or seen the movie? I liked the book a good deal.
Take care.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

I'll be 47 at the end of March. When does this patience thing kick in?

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home