Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Activities

Was privileged to be taken to our son's climbing gym, and had a humbling but satisfying workout on increasingly difficult problems. could be age, or decreased practice, but I didn't end up climbing too well. Came home to feebleness and assorted ills, for which the best treatment is early to bed.
Am well along in a collection of short fiction by Julio Cortazar titled Blow Up. The title story was made into a film in 1966; it was Michelangelo Antiononi's first British film, according to IMDB. I bet I saw it with the friend and her mother who introduced me to Doris Lessing and other fine writers. There was an "art film" house in Toledo, Ohio, which the mother would take us to occasionally for serious film viewing. These stories are good, with a surrealistic twist in every one. Cortazar was brought up in Argentina but moved to Paris when he was 38, and lived there for the rest of his life, another 32 years. I wonder if he wrote in French, have to look it up.
I may hop into Borges' Labyrinth next.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Can you read in French? I can't even read much in Spanish any more. That high school Spanish will fade away...

3:53 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

You make me want to check if Blow Up is available on Netflix. We just watched two old films on Instant Watching-- The Parallax View (not very good) and Five Easy Pieces (which I had not seen before, very good). It's interesting to look back at the zeitgeist of a time through the cinema it produced.

Hope you are feeling okay.

4:45 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, my French is very rusty, but I do have some material with which to refresh it, kathyr. Just been lazy...

I'm fine, robin. It was another household member who was ailing. Seems okay now...

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home