Monday, August 04, 2008

Speeding away

When it hits August, we sometimes think summer's dwindling; it really has only been pleasant for a little over a month, so I say, we have until into October for the rest of it. Ignore arbitrary markings such as Labor Day.
A neighborhood friend told me his 99 year old aunt and his 94 year old mother died earlier this summer. Supposedly they went quickly and were made comfortable. There are so many such scenarios out there it can easily consume one's thoughts if it hits close to home. I see no reason to ask people to tough anything out at the end; they may die and thus lose the pain, but you will remember it for as long as you are able to, if you were a witness. Many people have told me awful endings to family stories, and I know of a dear soul I wouldn't want to have one.
Okay, J.C. Oates is growing on me; I'll be searching out the few more volumes that supposedly go with the one I'm reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy Rogers said...

Well, you know how I feel about that comfort thing. If I'm not uncomfortable, don't go making me comfortable. If I'm just being a sick pain in the ass but am not in really awful pain, don't make yourself comfortable at my expense. That's all I'm sayin'.

Unless you're going to drill on my teeth. Then, by all means, break out the joy juice.

I don't think summer ever goes away for very long here where I live. It may freeze a few days in February or March, just to kill off your garden, but it will be springy/summery a day or two later.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home