Sunday, December 28, 2008

Rolling like molasses

Not sure why we are lackadaisical around here; well, some of us. One went out on a strenuous kayak trip for the day, while we lolled around home. Until time to lift weights, when I discovered that one of my toes was black and blue and really painful; it seemed to have decided to get snarky on me, wihtout any provocation. I taped it up and went on with life.
Supposed to be finishing up Gulliver's Travels, which I do like, seeing as how Swift's misanthropy is appealing, but I got distracted by another little collection of Le Guin short stories. In Gulliver, the king of Brobdingnag, land of the giants, gave his summation of the human race to Gulliver:
"I cannot but conclude the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth." Fer shure, yer Majesty; still holds true.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

Ah, a fellow misanthrope. I don't know how we find each other, but I'm always glad that we do.

Roger taped his toe when it was black and blue, but he remembered whacking it good to cause the injury. I recall once having a black and blue toe without provocation. It was when I was living in Boulder, Co while in college. So, I went to the doctor and was told that I had chilblains. Oh really? I didn't realize I had become a character in a 19th century novel. But it was true. I had some minor frostbite due to poor circulation and damned freezing cold temps. The only help was to keep flexing the toe and restore it to its natural pinkness. It's fine now, but I still cannot step into cold water without some pain.

6:23 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

CHILblains?! Well, I suppose it's better than gout! I don't recall my toe getting particularly chilled. Lawsy, who knows.
Well, we are now being blown sideways by big winds, and I hope the danged powere doesn't go out...

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home