Saturday, April 25, 2009

Once more, with tomatoes

After our session at the climbing gym, my good friend handed over a huge tomato plant she'd gotten for me; I didn't notice until I got home that it was a variety which grows best in places where there is a longer season, including warmer nights. Not sure why they are even sold around these parts, but I guess people always hope they can get those beefsteak tomatoes of yesteryear. Guess we'll try to meet the challenge. Maybe we need a little fleece wrapper for the poor thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger robin andrea said...

We had very limited success with those longer-seasoned varieties. Early Girl and San Francisco Fog varieties seem to produce the best. Good luck with it. Maybe you could pot it and keep moving it to catch every bit of light and warmth available, including bringing it inside at night.

7:35 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

I guess this big tomato plant was in with the Early Girl ones, but it's definitely marked Beefsteak. I will take your suggestion under advisement, robin. Thanks. we'll see if we can't wrangle something out of it...

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home