Thursday, February 03, 2005

Setting a lead

Somehow the whole day sped by, after spending from a little before 10 this morning to around 1:30 this afternoon stripping a route and creating a new one to go up in its place. I committed to putting up a lead, which proved harder than I'd envisioned. Oh, I knew it would be a bit trickier than the simpler toprope routes I'd done, particularly on the slightly overhanging wall I chose, but once again, I got humbled by the process. Much pondering of what holds to use, and then what sequence to put them in, taking into consideration clipping stances, body movement, foot placements; much clambering up and down, trying and re-trying the flow from clip to clip; much tiredness of brain and arms, after all the hauling of myself up and down on the gri-gri. Ultimately the little route passed muster from the head route-setter, and I hurried home to give my mother her lunch.
She and I went out on a walk later than usual, but the weather was good and she'd had her lunch and extra electrolyte-enhanced water. When we reached the house of our friend and neighbor who keeps a few chickens, my mother went up to speak to the birds, as is her wont. One of the blasted things suddenly flapped its wings and cleared the little fence which keeps them in the side yard. I tried to push it back with my foot, but the damned bird hunkered down and clung to the grass and was surprisingly immovable. It got up and ran towards the driveway. Somehow my mother got it headed back to the sideyard, speaking some kind of juju
chicken talk. I quickly closed the fence, and urged my mother to get out of there, so we wouldn't be responsible for lost chickens. The rest of the walk was uneventful, and when we got back, I dragged my ass out for a short run and a weight workout at the Nautilus gym.
I am now officially worn out, and am retiring with a book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home